Wednesday 20 July 2011

A Close Opportunity of the Missed Kind

It has come to my attention that this is supposed to be a Eurovision blog, of sorts. We have, I will concede, been rather focussing on the going on holiday, doing exams and advertising chocolate flavoured cheese aspects of the contest of late - and these are clearly important angles to keep in mind - but there's also music of sorts to be mentioned.

I'm reminded of those hazy, lazy days of spring 2007 when I was pretending that national finals season wasn't actually happening until I got to Helsinki. This resulted in me hearing Les Fatals Picards, Roger Cicero, The Ark and Verka Serduchka for the first time on the same afternoon, which mentally scarred me for life.

A scar which healed more quickly was the one on my ankle where the Dutch delegation possibly literally trampled me in their rush to get to some press conference or something. If I'd known then what I know now, instead of "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow", they would have departed to the sound of me desperately crying "Dutch, you fools... sing it in Duuuuuuuuuutttttttcccchhhhhhhh. It suits the song!!!!!". But I didn't. So they didn't. And the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment